Friday, October 2, 2009

Why can't I just sit at home and make things all day?

I've recently decided that I'm interested in too many things. I end up frustrated or disappointed in myself because I don't do enough with crafts and baking, etc because I just don't have the time. I would love to be able to make lots of lovely things, but I never seem to get around to it.

In college I taught myself how to knit, and I made a few things, but then I got interested in sewing and embroidery, so the knitting took a back seat. Now my sewing machine just lives in my closet and I have an unfinished embroidery project sitting on my desk while I'm playing with making books and pretty papers. Meanwhile, I also want to learn to quilt and do some more sewing, not to mention baking and cooking fun things....

So as you can see, there's too much to do and no time to do it. I have to work (especially to finance some of these hobbies - yarn and fabric can be expensive!) and I'm usually away from home for at least 11 hours on the days that I work. Factor in the need for sleep and food and general rest and I generally don't get around to much.

I'm trying to handle this by just putting projects on the back burner. I'm keeping a list of things that I find inspiring or projects that I could make from blogs in my google reader that hopefully I'll get around to eventually. I'm also trying to just focus on one project at a time, so I can feel that sense of accomplishment. For instance, we're having a baby shower for a co-worker today, so I made the new baby girl a fleece baby blanket. It's extremely easy  - you just cut fringes into the fleece rectangles and tie them together - instant blanket! Pictures to come soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment